24 February, 2024

How it started and taking it one day at a time

 

Hello everyone and welcome to a wet and cool Saturday reading the comments on my post about Parkinson's this morning over at my main blog made me think about how I feel about things.

Well I feel like I can take a few steps forward only to slide backwards, for me Parkinson's is like trying to walk across a river by stepping on slippery stones. You are not sure footed and feel like you are going to end up on the ground at any moment.

I have been travelling this route for what seems at times like ages, I first noticed a tremor in one of my right hand fingers after dropping Leo (Sam) off at school one morning, it was in fact the first day of school in 2015 and a teacher had to pry him off me in order for me to leave. I was walking back to the car and noticed my finger moving, I remember thing what the hell is wrong with my finger, I then got in the car and left and the movement stopped and I gave it no more thought till it happened again a few days later.

Over time I started to notice it when I did other things like using the computer mouse but still didn't think much of it, over time though it started happening more and more. I did manage to hide the tremor from my family for 6 to 8 months different people noticed it at different times.

After my doctor noticed it I was referred to a neurologist at the hospital who said it was a Functional Tremor and wouldn't get any worse. He prescribed some Parkinson's medication which did very little but he only had my try it for 4 weeks and only the one type before giving that up.

He was wrong things did get worse so I went back to see him and he referred me to a movement disorder clinic which turned out to be just another neurologist who agreed with the first guy.

When things got really bad I decided to see another neurologist privately the first one wasn't sure he thought it was kind of like a Functional Tremor but not completely and then I was referred to the lady at Westmead (Sydney) a 2hr drive from here and thing started to improve, that was only a couple of years ago and it was only after she arranged for me to be seen by a team of doctors that the term Parkinson's was mentioned.

My mum always said it was some kind of Parkinson's and my GP also said he thought it was more like Parkinson's.

I am thankfully that I have always been one who takes life one day at a time, as now each day is different with it's own struggles.

16 comments:

  1. I remember those posts when you were miserable and didn’t know what was going on. At least you know. There was one time you went a month or do and didn’t post - I was concerned. I don’t remember what year that was. Anyway keep posting and sharing your feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have had some rough times over the years but I am in a good place right now and I am hanging onto that

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope your journey continues to be filled with moments of strength and support.

    Check out my new post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    I'm with you on taking life one day at a time.
    Looking forward and planning ahead is off limits for now, at least for me.
    You are to be admired and luckily you already got well prepared years ahead of this knowledge, to write and express your feelings.
    It takes courages and also is relieving your stress—just by sharing.
    We all know that life will not go on as we 'dream' it would, nor do we stay forever young. But with a dose of inner–strength we can go a long way!
    And of course—by praying! Our Creator knows us and he knows we're not the only one, we have to trust Him.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, I pray and ask God for guidance in this struggle and help me find the strength to tackle each day as it arrives, getting old isn't for the young as it can be a real struggle day after day

      Delete
  4. Do they know what causes it? I have read that taking statins causes similar symptoms that can be mistaken for it. I had a great-uncle who had injuries as a child, then symptoms of tremors as an older adult. I think his doctor connected the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As faras I know, no one knows what causes it, in the early days my doctor (GP) went through my medications to see if anything could be the cause but came up with nothing.

      Delete
  5. One day at a time . . . that's all we can do, Jo-Anne, but do it with hope and faith in God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I do it is God I ask for guidance and strength

      Delete
  6. I'm a very optimistic, present-moment type of person, too. It helps dealing with chronic illness, that's for sure. (Plus cancer--lol!) But if we weren't we would have nothing but miserable days. It's a lot better to only occasionally have truly miserable days. So glad they finally got you diagnosed so you got some proper help and medication. *love and hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate to be miserable and depressed day after day, I try to stay positive remind myself I am loved and my family want me around not curcled up in a ball somewhere crying and shaking

      Delete
  7. Thank you for being brave enough to share your story, and I wish you strength and resilience as you continue to navigate life with Parkinson's.

    ReplyDelete