03 March, 2024

Left Handed

 


Any left handed people in your family?

Are you left handed?

I have been thinking about how different it is to be left handed I have a sister and a niece no not mother and daughter just so you know, anyway what was I saying. Oh yeah I have been told by them that it isn't just different but can be difficult at times doing things left handed.

Thankfully I don't know of any problems my sister had at school except I think there was one teacher who told mum that Jeannie should be using her right hand and mum told her no that's not how Jeannie is and not to try and force the issue.

I do however, know that there was a time when being left handed was treated as a bad thing maybe even a sin by some people and that when at school left handed children were forced to use their right hand.

To me forcing a child to do something that doesn't come naturally for them like which hand they prefer to use. I feel the treatment of left handed children by some teachers was not just wrong but cruel, no child should be made to feel like they are committing a sin by using their left hand.

How can using one's left hand be a sin to me that is just stupid. It can be hard enough being a lefty or a south paw as my grandfather use to say, writing isn't as easy for a lefty as well preforming other tasks such as using a pair of scissors unless they are left handed scissors.

According to Google Lefties make up only about 10 percent of the population, but studies find that individuals who are left-handed are more creativity, have more imagination and intuition and like to daydream. They're also better at rhythm and visualization.



13 comments:

  1. My husband is left handed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Jo–Anne,
    My brother is left handed and I am left handed in several things, not in writing. Whatever comes naturally ought to be accepted.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am let handed when I use a knife & fork my grandfather would always have a dig at me for that.

      Delete
    2. So, you use the knife with your left hand?

      Delete
    3. It is funny however how both of us have been asked so often if all Europeans are left handed. We use the fork in the left hand and knife in the right hand. Americans seldom eat with knife and fork, they alternate and put one utensil down before going back to the previous one...😳

      Delete
    4. Yeah I have seen Americans do that on telly and thought it odd

      Delete
  3. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get my left arm back in trim...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm left handed and had a teacher who would hit me with a ruler for turning my paper in a direction she didn't approve of. I had beautiful hand writing before she got involved. She flunked me in penmanship and my mom raised cane with the principal and got the teacher to stop making me and the other left handers do it her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great your mother went to bat for you so many didn't and let their child be abused in such a manner and made to think being left handed was some kind of sin

      Delete