27 July, 2024

Staying Warm

 


How do you stay warm on bloody cold days?

Do you like fleecy type clothes such as track pants, or maybe you like to wear thermal underwear, or maybe you just like to wear layers of clothes.

The last few years I didn’t feel the cold at all during winter, but this winter is different, I really feel it. In fact, I have days when it feels like I can’t get warm. However, I cannot wear fleecy track pants as I will overheat, so I wear a pair of pantyhose under my long pants. I also bought some winter socks which in past years I couldn’t stand such socks as they made my feet sweat.

I also cannot sleep in long clothes due to overheating, in fact I can’t remember ever wearing long clothes to bed during winter.

During the day I will wear a long sleeve singlet on really cold days under my top. I do have a pair of track pants that I wear out on cold days since most of my other pants and not nice enough to wear out in public.

Yes, we have a couple of heaters, small fan heaters, one in the bathroom, one in Tim’s office and one in the loungeroom. I just try not to use a heater if I don’t need to. Although I do turn the one in the bathroom on when I first get up to warm the room and if it is really cold, I turn the heater on in the loungeroom as well.

11 comments:

  1. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    We all change as we are slowly aging.
    Maybe you are taking any blood thinners? That also makes one feel cold!
    My rings almost fall off my fingers... I'm cold even in summer!
    Sleeping with socks on and I have to find a down duvet that is a little bit thicker than the one I'm using right now. I've never worn pajamas but got now 4 pair due to my very cold legs. Did launder the knee warmers today and need to wear those if not in pajamas.
    Fleece or any synthetic fabric is not for me to sleep in, it doesn't feel comfortable on the skin.
    Our air conditioning functions for cooling and heating so we don't need additional heaters; which is great.
    Hope you manage to stay warm and comfy!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rugged up this morning and have the heater going and I'm still cold. I have a pair of pantyhose on and then pants and winter socks.

      Parkinson's has affected how my body regulates temperature which means when it's hot my body has trouble cooling down and when it's cold it has trouble warming up.

      Thankfully I am not on blood thinners.

      Delete
    2. That is good not being on blood thinners. But I'm facing the very same problems. Cold hands and legs... even in the heat of summer!

      Delete
  2. I live in hoodies during the winter, and basically anything under 50F is blanket weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing with a hood I own is my dressing gown which I wear when I take Sam to meet their transport Monday to Friday

      Delete
  3. I always wear socks. Thin ones in the summer and fluffy ones in the winter. I usually just wear an extra layer like a sweater on top or just a thicker top like a sweatshirt in the winter. I suffer more in the heat than I do in the cold...so far, anyways. Who knows as I get older and older--lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first winter in five years that I have really felt the cold

      Delete
  4. I find it challenging to stay warm on especially cold days too. Layering clothes seems to be the most effective for me. I use thermal underwear as a base layer to trap heat without adding bulk, and I find that wearing wool or thermal socks makes a big difference. For sleeping, I stick to lighter layers and use extra blankets instead of long pajamas to avoid overheating. I also keep a couple of space heaters around, using them selectively to warm up specific rooms. It’s all about balancing comfort and warmth without overdoing it. READ MY NEW BLOG POST> THANK YOU>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thermal singlets but nothing for like that for my bottom half as I was unable to find any when I went shopping for them, so during the day I wear pantyhose under my pants and that helps a lot more then I thought it would. I read all you blog posts ok I may miss one here and there but mostly I read them and I comment

      Delete
  5. I prefer to be slightly chilled if at all possible. Heat and confining clothes are my kryptonite. But, if I am really cold, there is nothing like fleece to keep me warm and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a problem with over heating and have had many nights even during these bloody cold days when I have woken drenched in sweat

      Delete