14 July, 2024

Boredom

 


Do you get bored?

Do you think the younger generation get bored too easily?

Most people find it odd that I don’t get bored, and I have no memory of ever getting bored, nor do I get lonely, and I like my own company.

Now I am not saying I have never been bored, I am sure I have at times, but it isn’t the norm for me and even as a child I never complained of being bored.

Liking one’s own company runs in my family as I know my sisters also like their own company as did my mother. Mum thought with her it had to do with the fact that as a child she spent a lot of her time alone as she lived with her grandmother for around 10yrs and it was just the two of them. She did have friends, but she did spend a lot of time alone reading.

As a teenager I didn’t have any out-of-school friends, I had friends I hung around with at school but not at home and spent most of my time reading or listening to music. Which may be why I am comfortable on my own.

I can always find something to do but I also enjoy doing nothing, just sitting and watching the traffic go by or sitting and people watching.

The youth of today seem to have a habit of expecting to be entertained and will complain they are bored, expecting someone else to fix their boredom. To me it doesn’t work that way if you feel bored find something to do, don’t expect me to fix your boredom.

Both Blain and Sam spent a lot of time in my care when little and yes, I played with them but not all the time or for hours on end. I left them to amuse themselves which they did, they never complained about being bored.

 

9 comments:

  1. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    Just like you, I've never been bored. I've often said that I know how to write the word boredom in 7 languages but I don't know the feeling of it.
    Indeed, reading is one of the very best things to counter act boredom—if any is present.
    But the young(er) generation is no longer able to really read. All they do is playing games on line and indeed they need to be entertained all the time. SAD!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so spot one with regards to the younger generation, often their reading skills are extremely poor and it is sad

      Delete
  2. I don't remember being bored, either. I'm sure I have been, but we also learned as children that sometimes you have to be still and just wait through things. Just part of life, you know? So I learned not to even be bored in waiting rooms, lines, etc. I was always very happy by myself and I read and wrote a lot ever since I was about nine. When I was growing up you had to entertain yourself, you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah we do come from a time when amusing one's self was the norm, was well behaved at appointments and didn't run around making a lot of noise as many children do these days

      Delete
  3. That's very interesting. I do get bored now but when I was younger I didn't. I had a lot of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet even if you are feeling bored you are not going up to people telling them you are bored and expecting them to fix it

      Delete
  4. It seems odd to me that the least bored I am at work is when the wheels come off and everything is going wrong. Sometimes, bored is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to take your word on that since I don't get bored

      Delete